The documents contained in or directly accessible from this website contain “forward-looking statements.” Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “seeks,” “believes,” “estimates,” “expects” and similar references to future periods. Forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations and assumptions regarding our business, the economy and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. We therefore caution you against relying on any of these forward-looking statements. They are statements neither of historical fact nor guarantees or assurances of future performance. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements include political, economic, business, competitive, market, weather and regulatory conditions and the following:
- changes in our post-retirement medical benefit and pension obligations and the impact of the recently enacted healthcare legislation;
- changes in our black lung obligations, changes in our experience related to black lung claims, and the impact of the recently enacted healthcare legislation;
- our potential inability to expand or continue current coal operations due to limitations in obtaining bonding capacity for new mining permits;
- our potential inability to maintain compliance with debt covenant and waiver agreement requirements;
- the potential inability of our subsidiaries to pay dividends to us due to restrictions in our debt arrangements, reductions in planned coal deliveries or other business factors;
- risks associated with the structure of our power plants’ contracts with its lenders, coal suppliers and power purchaser, which could dramatically affect the overall profitability of our power plants;
- the effect of Environmental Protection Agency inquiries and regulations on the operations of power plants;
- the effect of prolonged maintenance or unplanned outages at our operations or those of our major power generating customers;
- future legislation and changes in regulations, governmental policies and taxes, including those aimed at reducing emissions of elements such as mercury, sulfur dioxides, nitrogen oxides, particulate matter or greenhouse gases; and
- other factors as described in “Risk Factors” found in our Annual Report on Form 10-K.
Any forward-looking statements made by us on this website speaks only as of the date on which they are made. Factors or events that could cause our actual results to differ may emerge from time-to-time, and it is not possible for us to predict all of them. We undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise, except as may be required by law.